Summary: Mr X complained the Council did not give him a decision on his 2012 homelessness application and then unreasonably removed him from the housing
The Ombudsman upheld the fault and found fault causing injustice.
To remedy the injustice caused to Mr X we recommend the Council should:
- apologise to Mr X;
- make him top of the list for each eligible property he bids for until he makes a successful bid;
- pay Mr X £4,500 for:
- failing to deal with his homelessness and housing applications correctly;
- the delay in rehousing his family to settled, affordable accommodation;
- the stressful possession proceedings he underwent;
- the arrears of £500 he still had after the Council made discretionary housing payments; and
- the time, trouble and distress the Council caused him.
To put matters right for other people we recommend the Council should tell people in its allocations scheme and in its housing register review decision letters about their right to complain to the Ombudsman.