Decision : Upheld
Decision date : 15 Jan 2021
Summary: Mrs D complains the Council failed to take appropriate action after she raised concerns of a cancer cluster in her neighbourhood.
The Ombudsman upheld the complaint and found found causing injustice.
The Council has agreed to:
- provide the personal remedy it has offered Mrs D, which is to:
- investigate her reports of a cancer cluster;
- pay her £750 to recognise the distress, uncertainty and confusion its faults have caused her.
- develop a procedure detailing its expectations for teams dealing with reports of non-infectious disease clusters. The procedure should:
- be written to run alongside Guidance issued by Public Health England;
- ensure there is no ‘wrong door’ to reports of this kind;
- note the need for careful record keeping.
- consider how it can use this report and the new procedure, to raise internal awareness of its public health duties;
Ombudsman satisfied with Council's response: 26 May 2021.