Decision : Closed after initial enquiries
Decision date : 23 Mar 2022
The Ombudsman's final decision:
Summary: We will not investigate this complaint about Ms X’s grandchild being put up for adoption. This is because the decision was made by the courts and we cannot investigate what happened in court or decisions made by the courts.
- Ms X complains the Council placed her grandchild up for adoption without considering placing the child with her. Ms X says the Council’s actions have caused the family significant distress.
The Ombudsman’s role and powers
- The Local Government Act 1974 sets out our powers but also imposes restrictions on what we can investigate.
- We cannot investigate a complaint about the start of court action or what happened in court. (Local Government Act 1974, Schedule 5/5A, paragraph 1/3, as amended)
How I considered this complaint
- I considered information provided by the complainant.
- I considered the Ombudsman’s Assessment Code.
- Adoption Orders are made by the courts. Therefore, we cannot investigate this complaint as we cannot investigate what happened in court or decisions taken by the courts.
- We will not investigate Ms X’s complaint because it is about matters which were considered by the court.
Investigator's decision on behalf of the Ombudsman