A woman complains on behalf of her mother about the care she received while in a care home funded by the authority.
She complains that while in the care home, there were no activities, and her mother was understimulated. She also complained her mother lost weight and became malnourished; and was not safe to walk unaided but was left with her walking frame and fell, breaking her hip.
The Ombudsman upheld the complaint and found fault causing injustice.
To remedy the injustice caused, the council should:
- pay the woman £3,500 and her daughter £500;
- ensure its future contract monitoring visits to Murdoch House include checks of:
- nutrition care plans, food and fluid charts and weight charts;
- falls monitoring, falls risk assessments and falls/mobility care plans; and
- care plans for activities and records of activities on offer.
Ombudsman satisfied with council's response: 9 August 2017