Help using our service
We will do our best to communicate with you in the way you have requested. However we must use public money carefully so what we can offer will depend on our resources (for example staff time and money).
For more information see our Reasonable Adjustments Policy.
See our leaflets page for information about our service in EasyRead and other formats.
Accessing the website
We've designed this website to be accessible and easy to use by anyone, whatever their age, background, level of ability or disability or internet access device. We're constantly checking the website remains accessible, easy to read and that the information we publish is accurate and up-to-date.
Text to Speech / Translation Services
Our website has BrowseAloud. This software provides a range of reading and translation support services:
- text-to-speech: click on or select any text to hear it read aloud in 40 of the most commonly spoken languages
- translation: written and spoken translations into 99 different languages. Note: If you want to use BrowseAloud to translate or read aloud the pdf documents on our website you need to be using Internet Explorer version 9 or above.
- text magnification: enlarges text and reads it out loud
- mp3 generation: converts selected text into an MP3 audio file
- screen mask: blocks distractions on screen with a tinted mask
- web page simplifer: removes clutter from the screen, displaying only the main text
- settings: customise options to suit individual needs or preferences
You don't need to download any software to use Browse Aloud. Just click the floating icon on the top right of every page.
View Display Options
Users can alter the size and colour of text. The options are in the header at the top of every page.
The website can be accessed without the use of a mouse by using the following keys:
- 'Tab' - navigate through links and content
- 'Shift' + 'Tab' - navigate backwards
- Arrrow keys - scroll page
- Space - check / uncheck a box
- 0 - Accessibility options page
- 1 - Homepage
- 2 - Skip to page contents
- 3 - Site map
- 4 - Search
- 5 - Skip to base of page
Windows users, press "ALT" plus shortcut key
Firefox browser users use "SHIFT" and "ALT" plus shortcut key
Macintosh users, press "Control" plus shortcut key