The Commission for Local Administration is the official body that runs our service
The Commission for Local Administration (the Commission) is the official title of the body that runs the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman service. It is an independent body funded by government grant.
The functions of the Commission are set out in the Local Government Act 1974 and are elaborated further in the Framework Document agreed with our sponsor department, Communities and Local Government.
The Independent Advisory Members of the Commission provide advice on the strategic direction of the organisation and independent scrutiny of high-level risk and performance. Neither Commission members nor Independent Advisory Members have a role in the adjudication of the complaints and therefore cannot comment on, or get involved in, discussions about individual cases.
- Michael King, Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman (Chair)
- Rob Behrens, Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (Ex officio member)
- Deep Sagar (Advisory Member)
- Prof. Stephen Perkins (Advisory Member)
- Carol Brady MBE (Advisory Member)
See also Commissioner and senior staff profiles for more information on the individuals listed above.
The Commission is also advised by Executive Team - see Our structure for more information.
- Provide the Ombudsman with the staff, accommodation, IT and other support needed to conduct investigations
- Approve annual financial estimates, the annual accounts, the four-year Strategic Corporate Plan, the annual Business Plan and the management of the finances and assets of the Ombudsman service
- Conduct a triennial review of the Part III of the Local Government Act 1974
- Maintain strategic scrutiny of the operational performance of the Ombudsman and the functions and decision making that it has delegated to the Executive Team
- Maintain oversight of strategic risk and internal control mechanisms, as advised by the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee and the Executive Team
- Agree the remuneration and benefits framework within which the Ombudsman service operates, as advised by the Remuneration and Appointments Committee.
Conduct and Interests
Details of the Chair's meetings with external bodies are within the Chair's reports to the Commission - available in published meeting papers.
The Commission meets quarterly. Papers and minutes are available below.