Local Government Ombudsman

> | Accessiblity Options | Text Only | Text Size: A+ A- Reset | Links | Site Map

You are here: Home : : Adult social care


Adult social care

Complaints about adult social care

The Local Government Ombudsman can consider complaints about councils and all types of care service for adults in England. We can look at complaints about:

  • care arranged direct with a care provider by:
    • someone paying with their own or family money
    • someone using money provided by a council
  • care provided by a council.

Everyone has access to the same independent Ombudsman service regardless of how the care service is funded. See our leaflet How to complain about a care home or care in your home. There is also an EasyRead version.

In most cases we will only consider a complaint once the council or care provider has been given a reasonable opportunity to deal with the situation. It is a free service. Our job is to investigate complaints in a fair and independent way. We do not take sides and do not champion complaints.

We are independent of politicians, local authorities, government departments, advocacy and campaigning groups, the care industry, and the Care Quality Commission. We are not a regulator and do not inspect care providers.

The short film below provides an overview of our adult social care service. It explains our role and how the service benefits both service users and care providers. You can also download a free copy of the film by clicking the link to the right as well as a copy of the transcript.

Introducing Adult Social Care

This video media requires the Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player button

Date Updated: 10/04/12