What it is
A one-day skills course on investigating Adult Social Care complaints, developed and delivered by our experienced complaint handlers. Participants can draw on knowledge gained from our experience of over four decades of investigating complaints. The course trainer will be familiar with the Adult Social Care complaints regulations and with the authority’s complaints procedure.
Who it is for
For Adult Social Care officers, managers and independent investigators, who investigate and resolve complaints under the Adult Social Care complaints procedure.
What it does
By the end of the course learners wil be able to:
- list five things that are important to people when they complain
- describe the complaint handling process
- accurately identify, define and summarise complaints
- list five sources of evidence that are useful for investigations
- investigate a complaint and reach evidence-based conclusions
- identify appropriate and proportionate remedies for injustice
- write a comprehensive decision letter
- explain how complaints can be used to drive service improvements
How it is done
The course is interactive using a variety of activities and materials including:
- participants’ experience of making complaints and our experience of what can go wrong, research findings on what contributes to customer satisfaction and trust in service providers, a troubleshooting exercise to consider the problems staff encounter and possible solutions.
- Participants work on a case study based on a real Adult Social Care complaint to us. Using their expertise and drawing on the experience of the trainer, they define, investigate and reach a conclusion on a complaint. The trainer explains the principles applied by us for resolving complaints and this is applied to the case study.
- The trainer offers guidance and tips throughout the day on applying our principles of good practice in investigating complaints
Cost: £1,200 for 15 people (£1,250 for courses booked after 31 December 2019)
Based on authority providing venue and refreshments
Duration: 10am - 4pm
One-day course for a group of up to 15, with one trainer: £1,200 (£1,250 for courses booked after 31 December 2019).
No extra charge made for trainer’s travel and expenses. Prices assume you will supply the venue and refreshments for the course.
Authorities with fewer than 15 staff to put forward for training may wish to get together with neighbouring authorities to hold a regional Ombudsman training event, and so share the costs.