Privacy settings

LGO logogram

Review your privacy settings

Required cookies

These cookies enable the website to function properly. You can only disable these by changing your browser preferences, but this will affect how the website performs.

View required cookies

Analytical cookies

Google Analytics cookies help us improve the performance of the website by understanding how visitors use the site.
We recommend you set these 'ON'.

View analytical cookies

In using Google Analytics, we do not collect or store personal information that could identify you (for example your name or address). We do not allow Google to use or share our analytics data. Google has developed a tool to help you opt out of Google Analytics cookies.

Information for Link Officers

Specific types of complaint

School admission appeals

If the appeal relates to a maintained school (including community, foundation, voluntary-aided or voluntary-controlled), complaints should be made to the Ombudsman.

The Education Funding Agency (EFA) deals with complaints about appeals for Academies and Free Schools.

If a school converts part way through the appeal process or shortly afterwards, signposting should be as follows:

  • If conversion occurs after the decision not to admit but before the appeal has been heard, the EFA will consider any complaint.
  • If conversion occurs after the appeal hearing, complaints should be made to the Ombudsman. If fault causing injustice is found, we will make recommendations, but pass them to the EFA who will be responsible for monitoring compliance.

Factsheets about school admissions appeals can be found on our website.

Housing complaints

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman deals with complaints about all local authority housing activities other than those about the provision and management of social housing, which are for the Housing Ombudsman. Authorities are asked to clearly signpost to the relevant Ombudsman when sending their final complaint responses. If you are unclear about which Ombudsman can help we have a detailed guide here.

Both Ombudsmen are able to conduct joint investigations and there is a memorandum of understanding to help them resolve jurisdictional questions.

Health complaints

We can carry out joint investigations with the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman where the complaint has elements covered by both Ombudsman schemes. We have a separate team who deal solely with joint complaints and these cover health and social care. The joint team does not deal with Parliamentary complaints. More information about the Joint Working Team can be found here.

Employment complaints

Sometimes we will receive a complaint from someone that relates directly to their current or former employment with a council or authority. The LGA 74 specifically bars us from looking at these types of complaints. Where we receive such a complaint we will tell the council or authority we have received a complaint but will not provide the council or authority concerned with any details of it.

Working with other organisations

We work and share information with other Ombudsman schemes and regulators. More information can be found here