Privacy settings

LGO logogram

Review your privacy settings

Required cookies

These cookies enable the website to function properly. You can only disable these by changing your browser preferences, but this will affect how the website performs.

View required cookies

Analytical cookies

Google Analytics cookies help us improve the performance of the website by understanding how visitors use the site.
We recommend you set these 'ON'.

View analytical cookies

In using Google Analytics, we do not collect or store personal information that could identify you (for example your name or address). We do not allow Google to use or share our analytics data. Google has developed a tool to help you opt out of Google Analytics cookies.

North York Moors National Park Authority (17 007 580)

Category : Planning > Enforcement

Decision : Upheld

Decision date : 08 Oct 2018


Mr and Mrs C complain the Authority wrongly charged them for costs associated with enforcement action when the law does not allow it to do so.


The Ombudsman upheld the complaint and found found causing injustice.


The Authority must consider the report and confirm within three months the action it has taken or proposes to take. The Authority’s Members should consider the report at a full meeting of the Authority or other appropriately delegated committee, and we will require evidence of this. (Local Government Act 1974, section 31(2), as amended).

The Authority has suspended the policy, cancelled the charges made under the policy and issued a refund to those who have paid. Within 4 weeks of our decision the Authority should apologise to Mr and Mrs C for not properly considering the basis of the charge it sought to make and for not explaining the basis for that charge.

Should the Authority seek to reintroduce the policy of charging for enforcement action it should ensure it properly considers the basis for making a charge and that Members responsible for making the decision are made aware of all relevant information including the full extent of any legal advice.

Print this page