Decision : Closed after initial enquiries
Decision date : 26 Feb 2021
The Ombudsman's final decision:
Summary: Mr X complains for a parish council about the way the Council processed a planning application. We cannot investigate this complaint because it is made by a public body.
- Mr X complains about the way the Council dealt with a planning application. He says the Council took advantage of the COVID-19 regulations to deal with it in a way that disadvantage members and the public
The Ombudsman’s role and powers
- The Local Government Act 1974 sets out our powers but also imposes restrictions on what we can investigate.
- We cannot investigate complaints from public bodies. (Local Government Act 1974, section 27(1)(a), as amended)
How I considered this complaint
- I considered the information provided by Mr X, including the Council’s responses to his complaint.
What I found
- Mr X is complaining for a parish council so the restriction I describe in paragraph 3 applies.
- As this complaint is made for the parish council, it is outside our jurisdiction.
Investigator’s decision on behalf of the Ombudsman
Investigator's decision on behalf of the Ombudsman