The Ombudsman's final decision:
Summary: The Ombudsman cannot investigate how a Council financed a maintained school.
- The complainant, whom I shall call Mrs X, says the Council unreasonably refused to provide extra funding to a school.
The Ombudsman’s role and powers
- The Ombudsman cannot investigate complaints about what happens in schools. (Local Government Act 1974, Schedule 5, paragraph 5(b))
How I considered this complaint
- I considered the information Mrs X supplied with her complaint. Mrs X has commented on a draft version of this decision.
What I found
- Mrs X is a school governor. She says the Council unfairly refused to provide extra emergency funding to cover a gap in increased pupil numbers.
- The Ombudsman has no power to investigate the Council’s actions connected to the internal organisation or management of a school.
- The Ombudsman cannot investigate how the Council financed a school.
Investigator's decision on behalf of the Ombudsman