Decision : Closed after initial enquiries
Decision date : 02 May 2018
The Ombudsman's final decision:
Summary: The Ombudsman cannot investigate this complaint alleging a social worker lied in a court report. This is because it will be used in court proceedings and it reasonable to expect Miss X to raise her concerns at court.
- The complainant, who I shall refer to as Miss X, says social workers lied in a report. She says the Council has admitted the report is ‘unbalanced’ in relation to the care Miss X provides to her children.
The Ombudsman’s role and powers
- We cannot investigate a complaint about the start of court action or what happened in court. (Local Government Act 1974, Schedule 5/5A, paragraph 1/3, as amended)
How I considered this complaint
- I have considered the complaint information provided by Miss X.
What I found
- Miss X is complaining about a report that will be relied on in court proceedings. She says the next Court hearing is due on 16 May 2018.
- As outlined in paragraph two the Ombudsman cannot investigate any aspect of this complaint as it concerns matters that will be determined in Court. It is reasonable to expect Miss X to raise her concerns at Court.
- The Ombudsman will not investigate this complaint as it concerns matters that have been and will be be decided at court.
Investigator's decision on behalf of the Ombudsman