Decision : Closed after initial enquiries
Decision date : 20 Feb 2018
The Ombudsman's final decision:
Summary: The Ombudsman cannot investigate this complaint alleging a social worker lied in a court report. This is because it has been used in court proceedings.
- The complainant, who I shall refer to as Miss X, says social workers lied in a report and told lies in court.
The Ombudsman’s role and powers
- We cannot investigate a complaint about the start of court action or what happened in court. (Local Government Act 1974, Schedule 5/5A, paragraph 1/3, as amended)
How I considered this complaint
- I have considered the complaint information provided by Miss X. I shared my draft view with her.
What I found
- Miss X is complaining about a report that was relied on in court proceedings. She says her child can only now see her in a contact centre.
- As outlined in paragraph two the Ombudsman cannot investigate any aspect of this complaint as it concerns matters determined in Court.
- The Ombudsman will not investigate this complaint as it concerns matters that have already been decided at court.
Investigator's decision on behalf of the Ombudsman