Local Government Ombudsman

> | Accessiblity Options | Text Only | Text Size: A+ A- Reset | Links | Site Map

You are here: Home : : Guide for advisers

Independent and impartial

Contact information

Related Content

Useful links


Site tools

Guide for advisers

This guide is to help you decide when to refer cases to the Local Government Ombudsman. If you want to make a referral or seek advice about a case please call our helpline on 0300 061 0614.  (Calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calls to national geographic numbers (starting 01or 02) from both mobiles and landlines, and will be included as part of any inclusive call minutes or discount schemes in the same way as geographic calls. Please note that calls may be recorded for training and quality purposes.) Our advisers will be able to help with the referral and discuss issues such as jurisdiction or how the LGO might be able to help with a case. A complaint form is available in the 'downloads' box on the right of this page, or clients can call our helpline directly to make a complaint. We can accept a complaint from them over the telephone.

Our leaflet 'Complained to the council? Still not satisfied?' is available as a download in the downloads box on the right, along with a version in EasyRead.

There is a downloadable poster available. This can be printed in A4 or A3 size - by adjusting your print settings.

Additional information for advocates and advisers who work with children and young people is also available. See our leaflet about our service for dealing with complaints from children and young people, and our Casebook which includes examples of complaints we have investigated - both available in the 'downloads' box on the right.

You can select sections of this guide by using the menu on the left, or you can work your way through it by clicking on the link below.

Go to next page

Date Updated: 21/10/14